Saturday, August 18, 2012

Making a House a Home

Each day we work in South Africa, we are faced with new challenges and exciting experiences. Today, our last work day, was no different. Our old friend, the wind, was back, blowing strong. I am praying that wind blows some extra happiness into the house :D. The morning started with many new faces. Meyer had friends join us to help paint inside the house. It was their first time helping with a Mosaic house and it was exciting to be a part of that. Jordan and her friends were also with us today, working hard to get this house completed. Outside, new bricks went up on one side of the house in order to create a fire wall. We also finished the dugga on the fence. It looks amazing! The window trim and decorative corners of the house were painted a beautiful terra cotta color. The color was continued on the side fence to tie it all in. Our house looks so amazing and strong. Inside, we painted and painted and painted (and maybe a few other things)! Between the tops of the walls and the roof, we used dugga to create a barrier from the elements. The dugga got primed and the walls were painted a beautiful, warm color. Interior doors were installed in the rooms and the bathroom, and then were painted the same white as the trim. Beams were washed, floors were swept, and small touch-ups were made throughout the house. Today was all about transforming the house into a home. Every step we took today was done with love and with the new family in mind.

Personally, I feel so blessed for SO many reasons. First, just being here is a gift. I continue to hear that we are helping others, but I know for a fact I am being helped by this experience. God is an amazing multi-tasker ;) He is making me more aware of my gifts and is giving me a lot of questions that I look forward to finding the answers to. Second, having the opportunity to work with each of the team members has been a great thing for me. It is so special to learn about each person's reasons for coming here and how this has changed them. Nightly devotions have added to that. I feel so lucky to know all of these people. Finally, the blessing of working with and learning more about Meyer and Mosaic has been life changing. Just listening to his story and the knowledge he has gets my gears going and makes me want to be better. How lucky am I? So lucky and so incredibly blessed!
--Tracey Fernandez




No comments:

Post a Comment